Skip to main content

The "New Memoir"

Whenever you listen to Terry Gross on NPR, you'll hear her say: "Next on Fresh Air, such-and-such a celebrity will join us to talk about her (or his) new memoir."

A memoir, it seems, is a very specific genre. Instead of waiting, like Benjamin Franklin or Henry Adams, to write a full autobiography or a Bildungsroman-like narrative (I have in mind here The Education of Henry Adams), people today write memoir after memoir: the memoir of the first ten years of my life; the memoir of the "lost years"; the memoir of last week.

Tolstoy with his grandchildren circa 1909
This is not entirely new, of course. In his autobiographical trilogy Leo Tolstoy highlighted first Childhood, then Boyhood, then Youth (1852-56). And here, I suppose, I am approaching my subject: the mixing of fact and fiction.

Tolstoy named the hero of his book "Nikolenka," little Nikolai -- not Lyovushka. So while he was basing some of the events, and certainly many of the emotions and thoughts, on his own experiences growing up, Tolstoy was distancing himself from his own memories. Serialized in The Contemporary under the initials L.N., this work was not presented as a memoir, or even an autobiography per se. We talk about it as Tolstoy's "autobiographical trilogy," but we consider it to be fiction.

Tolstoy was influenced by, among others, Ben Franklin himself -- although Franklin had called his own work "memoirs" and originally written them primarily for his son William, not for his admiring public. Unlike Tolstoy, Franklin did not publish his Autobiography in his lifetime, and the complicated publication history in the end involved various manuscript versions, translations into French and back into English, etc.

But Franklin's work was at least an autobiography as we think of it -- covering much if not all of his life and, importantly, not an auto-hagiography but rather a record of both positive and negative impulses and events.

After writing the above, about Franklin's influence on Tolstoy, I went to check and found a significant literature debating whether or not Tolstoy read the Autobiography, particularly whether he read it as a young and impressionable man. (And now I have to violate blog protocol and give a footnote... see below.)

Regardless, we know that Tolstoy admired the work and the man.

My students and I spent last week thinking about the "New Biography" -- the new direction in anti-Victorian biography started by Lytton Strachey in 1918 with his Eminent Victorians. In the "New Biography," characters sometimes speak, and biographers usually take the opportunity of having access to letters and/or memoirs to choose the subjects' own words, to allow the subjects to speak for themselves.

This gives the feeling of authenticity -- a feeling that echoes how we respond to autobiography or memoir. If the hero of a biography said something him/herself, then it must be true, right?

Or not. I've asked my students to try and focus all semester on biography -- rather than memoir or autobiography -- and we continue to add to our list of questions in order to figure out the parameters of this genre, from ancient times to the present. So far the consensus is that biographies "feel" authentic when we know that they are based on primary sources, including documents, letters, and even memoirs. Strachey's bibliography for each of his biographies made us think about how he was using and recasting his sources.

But yesterday a friend sent me a copy of a "new memoir" by Vladimir Kantor -- a Russian writer and philosopher who visited Ohio State in 1995, when I was a new assistant professor. And let me tell you -- though there is photographic evidence of our meeting, the stories Kantor tells of our mutual adventures are mostly fictional.


His memories don't correspond to ours, and his memoirs are not "true." We can "read" some actual people and events in what he has to say; other events and places seem completely made up.

I'm not saying that anyone will write Kantor's biography, or mine, based on these or any other memoirs. But if they do... the "sources" will be fiction, not fact. Since I was there, I think I know.

What's more, as we contemplate biography, we notice that biographers utilize certain quotes or anecdotes to support their understanding of their subjects, to "prove" that their portraits are true. In this course of his memoir (In the Midst of Time, or a Map of my Memory), Kantor uses his stories of me and other women he met at Ohio State to elaborate his thesis of the "naif" or ingenuous American, and I don't mind at all. But I do remember some of the gentle falsehoods I told him at the time (after all, this Russian acquaintance of mine had no real need to know all the details of my life). And I wonder just who is the "naif." Following the map of Kantor's memory, you might just manage to get lost.




Barbara W. Maggs, "The Franklin-Tolstoy Influence Controversy," Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society vol. 129, no. 3 (Sept 1985) pp. 268-277.

From Maggs's article

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cringeworthy? Really??

It's so sad. I've gotten my first reaction to my new book. Well, second reaction. My sweet husband was brought to tears reading the introduction (possibly because he remembered just how many drafts of each section of the book, and of all the sections left on the cutting room floor, that he had read, and read, and read before). But now I've heard from a potential reader that his Russian friend-in-exile (and more importantly that friend's teenage son) think the title is кринжовый. Ouch. That hurts. Why do we need Russian literature? Do we? My Polish friend wrote to encourage me when she saw my linked in post about the publication and assured me that SHE and all her friends still love Russian literature ... even and despite the fact that Russians sometimes misbehave. (Some Russians more than others, and sometimes not just misbehaving--the world's reaction to the murder of Alexey Navalny in prison is noteworthy and important. We need to hold those responsible in contem

RIP Randy Nolde

In everyone's life there is a teacher who motivated her to try harder, strive for more, reach beyond. Or in my case, a teacher who teased, goaded, poked, pried, laughed, lampooned, and somehow created an atmosphere where I was ready to work my tail off to make him proud. Randy Nolde, we will miss you. Mr. Nolde was my Russian teacher in high school. I first got to know him as a younger person -- the Russian Club Banquet was quite the event in my home town, and my grandmother used to take us regularly even before my sister enrolled in Russian language class. Every year, the high school cafeteria underwent a magical metamorphosis. Huge murals of scenes from Russia -- fantastic, colorful onion-domed churches, and young peasants reaping wheat, and Armenian maidens with long braids and colorful costumes -- hung all around the edges of the room. On the menu: chicken Kiev made by the cafeteria ladies, supplemented with cafeteria salad, but also khachapuri  and piroshki  made by the

Personal Sanctions. Second Reactions

On Thursday I fled Denver in the face of what was promising to be an epic snowstorm. (My AirBnB host, who grew up in Michigan, advised that Denver is quick to hit the panic button, but I didn't dare stick around to find out. I needed to be home before Monday!) In the plane, waiting for de-icing, I checked my e-mail and learned that I had been added to a so-called "stop-list" of U.S. citizens who are being personally sanctioned for our attitudes toward the Russian government and its internal and foreign affairs. It's not often that you end up on a list with the head of Lockheed Martin--certainly nothing I ever expected. But then, I also had never thought of myself as a Russophobe, and now that's the label that has been affixed to me by the Russian Federation. I had just been upgraded to first class--apparently not a lot of people were fleeing Denver that morning!--so I did what any Russophobe would do: I ordered a vodka from the flight attendant. An American vodka,