Skip to main content

Where's Anton?

Martin Handford's Waldo
The other day I was visiting with some friends. Their two-year-old daughter kept busy while we chatted by examining a version of a "Where's Waldo" book. You know the type: a book of photos or pictures where there is one small element the viewer has to find, a balloon in this case, or in another case the famous Waldo. Waldo is always there--you just have to scan the crowds, look behind tree trunks and in the windows of buildings, seek among hikers on crowded mountain trails. If you're focused enough and develop the right technique, if you train yourself and practice, you will always eventually find Waldo. The genre of this type of book guarantees success.

Vladimir Nabokov famously talks about a similar phenomenon in the last paragraph of his memoir Speak, Memory: that gratifying and pleasurable moment when the thing unseen reveals itself.

There, in front of us, where a broken row of houses stood between us and the harbour, and where the eye encountered all sorts of stratagems, such as pale-blue and pink underwear cakewalking on a clothesline ... it was most satisfying to make out among the jumbled angles of roofs and walls, a splendid ship’s funnel, showing from behind the clothesline as something in a scrambled picture – Find What the Sailor Has Hidden – that the finder cannot unsee once it has been seen. A brilliant, and moving, mixture of perception and reality. 
A few years ago a student pitched a potential paper topic to me, and I had to strike it down. He wanted to search through the plays and short stories of Chekhov and identify the character in each who expressed Chekhov's own views, and through this search come to a conclusion about the relationship between the author and his characters.

I explained that of all Russian authors, Chekhov was the worst one to subject to this procedure, that Chekhov tended to distribute his own views among his characters rather than creating a "mouthpiece" in his fiction, and indeed that perhaps part of Chekhov's purpose was to undercut the "poet-prophet" model so prevalent in Russian fiction. You know the model, I told him, the one in which the author's views--of the present, past, and the future--are the best views possible, and the reason we are to read the works is to be enlightened and come to share those views.

My student thought about it, and chose another paper topic.

This may be one of the things I love best about Chekhov. As he liked to say, "the role of the artist is to ask questions, not to answer them." It's more interesting to have the questions laid out and to think them through yourself than to seek and find the answer the author has prepared for you.

The biographical approach to fiction (what events in the author's life are the prototype of those we find in her work? in which characters can we see his mother, his sister, his wife? where is the autobiography in what is purportedly fiction?) is a game that works very well with a roman à clef but which is only mildly entertaining. Once you find the sailor, you can never unsee him; once Waldo emerges from the scene, he will always be visible and indeed come to dominate the picture. It seems to me that while biography can be illuminating, it may not illuminate the fiction in ways that enhance our reading pleasure.

I actually think that the technique we use to examine a page of a Richard Scarry or a Martin Handford book is not the worst approach to Chekhov--as long as we remember that we will never find Anton himself lurking in costume within his works.

What we do find, as we scan the pages of a Chekhov story, and then go back over them inch by inch with a magnifying glass, and then put the book at a distance to get yet another view, is the images, descriptions, intonations, quotations, ironies, and everything else Chekhov has embedded in his text. We can enjoy the sound texture, the repetitions, the variants; we can imagine the joking, and the frustration, and the despair, and the joys experienced by the characters. We hear the sounds of birds, and we explore the shadows and color shifts in the sea, or the forest, or a crowded plaza.

We cannot check the box, as Nabokov does in finding that hidden sailor and achieving momentary satisfaction.

But what we can do is in the end much longer-lasting and much more subtle. We have found Anton after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cringeworthy? Really??

It's so sad. I've gotten my first reaction to my new book. Well, second reaction. My sweet husband was brought to tears reading the introduction (possibly because he remembered just how many drafts of each section of the book, and of all the sections left on the cutting room floor, that he had read, and read, and read before). But now I've heard from a potential reader that his Russian friend-in-exile (and more importantly that friend's teenage son) think the title is кринжовый. Ouch. That hurts. Why do we need Russian literature? Do we? My Polish friend wrote to encourage me when she saw my linked in post about the publication and assured me that SHE and all her friends still love Russian literature ... even and despite the fact that Russians sometimes misbehave. (Some Russians more than others, and sometimes not just misbehaving--the world's reaction to the murder of Alexey Navalny in prison is noteworthy and important. We need to hold those responsible in contem

RIP Randy Nolde

In everyone's life there is a teacher who motivated her to try harder, strive for more, reach beyond. Or in my case, a teacher who teased, goaded, poked, pried, laughed, lampooned, and somehow created an atmosphere where I was ready to work my tail off to make him proud. Randy Nolde, we will miss you. Mr. Nolde was my Russian teacher in high school. I first got to know him as a younger person -- the Russian Club Banquet was quite the event in my home town, and my grandmother used to take us regularly even before my sister enrolled in Russian language class. Every year, the high school cafeteria underwent a magical metamorphosis. Huge murals of scenes from Russia -- fantastic, colorful onion-domed churches, and young peasants reaping wheat, and Armenian maidens with long braids and colorful costumes -- hung all around the edges of the room. On the menu: chicken Kiev made by the cafeteria ladies, supplemented with cafeteria salad, but also khachapuri  and piroshki  made by the

Personal Sanctions. Second Reactions

On Thursday I fled Denver in the face of what was promising to be an epic snowstorm. (My AirBnB host, who grew up in Michigan, advised that Denver is quick to hit the panic button, but I didn't dare stick around to find out. I needed to be home before Monday!) In the plane, waiting for de-icing, I checked my e-mail and learned that I had been added to a so-called "stop-list" of U.S. citizens who are being personally sanctioned for our attitudes toward the Russian government and its internal and foreign affairs. It's not often that you end up on a list with the head of Lockheed Martin--certainly nothing I ever expected. But then, I also had never thought of myself as a Russophobe, and now that's the label that has been affixed to me by the Russian Federation. I had just been upgraded to first class--apparently not a lot of people were fleeing Denver that morning!--so I did what any Russophobe would do: I ordered a vodka from the flight attendant. An American vodka,