Skip to main content

A Tolstoyan Journey

It's back to school season in the U.S. Elementary and high school students in my part of the country have been in the classroom for a month now, and most colleges have started their fall term as well.

But in the late summer I began encouraging people to ask me when I head back to the classroom -- because the answer is so satisfying. "August, 2017," I say.

Sabbaticals are a perk of academic life, and a real treat. The idea is two-fold. Originally, I imagine, a sabbatical was granted in order that faculty members would have a chance to relax and recharge. The wording is not accidental. At most institutions, faculty are eligible for sabbaticals every seven years, which someone must have decided was the stretch of time after which renewal was required.

We do work hard (though perhaps not harder than other people!), and especially when a professor has been teaching the same courses term after term, a chance to step away from the classroom, to read up on new developments and methodologies, to rethink some approaches, perhaps to travel to new places and confer with colleagues in other countries and systems... A brilliant plan, sure to bring new energy and enthusiasm when the faculty member returns to her institution.

The second part of sabbaticals, though, is that faculty are intended to spend the year engaged in research projects. On one hand this makes sense -- if someone needs to go do research abroad or at an archive, doing that while teaching is difficult. If she needs to focus on extensive reading or experiments or writing, the interruptions of meetings, classes, and students can slow a project almost to a halt.

On the other hand, aren't the two parts of sabbaticals counterintuitive? Is it possible to "rest and recharge" while also conducting intensive research and completing a large writing project?

It may be that god rested on the sabbath, the seventh day, but while resting she didn't think up a whole new universe, did she? Still. I can't, and won't, complain. Life is good. And as I launch my sabbatical year, I'm thinking about who my traveling companions will be.

One of my colleagues, who's a classical archeologist, recently told me that she has always taken Tolstoy along on her sabbaticals. During her first sabbatical (in addition to the research and writing she did, of course) she read Anna Karenina. And during the second she read War and Peace.

Tolstoy shared a lot of the values of the American academic. He believed in hard work and in experiential learning. He preferred the simple life, but was interested in why people accumulate wealth and stuff and tried to understand what that did to them. He was horrified by violence and war. He explored the relationship between reason and passion, and recognized that not all the answers lay in rational thought.

So yes, I'll take Tolstoy with me. I'll revisit my Reading Anna Karenina Challenge, and I'll think some more about why reading Tolstoy is inevitably an intense experience. This week, reading an Ulitskaya novel (The Kukotsky Enigma -- now translated into English and available at Northwestern UP), I stopped to dwell on an exchange with a minor character who was reading Tolstoy's Sevastopol Stories:

«Перечитываешь? Зачем?» 

«Честное слово, не знаю. Тянет. Почти каждый год, обязательно летом. Вот так, на пляже. В поезде… Во саду ли, в огороде … Вроде как родственника навестить. Из чувства долга. Но и по любви тоже. И скучновато. И необходимо.»

"Why are you rereading [Tolstoy]?"

"Honestly, I have no idea. It pulls me in. Almost every year, always in the summer. Like this, at the beach. On a train ... In the yard, the garden ... It's like visiting a relative. Out of a sense of duty. But also with love. It's a bit boring. But essential."

Ulitskaya herself -- writing a Big Book about family, love, the twentieth century with its terror and tragedy -- must have been thinking about Tolstoy.

Of course, when I began this post I was also channeling Martha Nussbaum, having just read the great New Yorker piece about her from earlier in the summer: "The Philosopher of Feelings." And so I am taking Tolstoy, but also maybe Martha along on my sabbatical journey. So far Martha's primary influence has been on my exercise regimen. Apparently she starts every day with 90 minutes of exercise. That's more than I can manage, but when I get up in the dark, make myself a cup of coffee, and head out on a run, I do seem to think more clearly for much of the day.

Reading, and writing, and traveling, and running. Not a bad life at all.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RIP Randy Nolde

In everyone's life there is a teacher who motivated her to try harder, strive for more, reach beyond. Or in my case, a teacher who teased, goaded, poked, pried, laughed, lampooned, and somehow created an atmosphere where I was ready to work my tail off to make him proud. Randy Nolde, we will miss you. Mr. Nolde was my Russian teacher in high school. I first got to know him as a younger person -- the Russian Club Banquet was quite the event in my home town, and my grandmother used to take us regularly even before my sister enrolled in Russian language class. Every year, the high school cafeteria underwent a magical metamorphosis. Huge murals of scenes from Russia -- fantastic, colorful onion-domed churches, and young peasants reaping wheat, and Armenian maidens with long braids and colorful costumes -- hung all around the edges of the room. On the menu: chicken Kiev made by the cafeteria ladies, supplemented with cafeteria salad, but also khachapuri  and piroshki  made by the

Cringeworthy? Really??

It's so sad. I've gotten my first reaction to my new book. Well, second reaction. My sweet husband was brought to tears reading the introduction (possibly because he remembered just how many drafts of each section of the book, and of all the sections left on the cutting room floor, that he had read, and read, and read before). But now I've heard from a potential reader that his Russian friend-in-exile (and more importantly that friend's teenage son) think the title is кринжовый. Ouch. That hurts. Why do we need Russian literature? Do we? My Polish friend wrote to encourage me when she saw my linked in post about the publication and assured me that SHE and all her friends still love Russian literature ... even and despite the fact that Russians sometimes misbehave. (Some Russians more than others, and sometimes not just misbehaving--the world's reaction to the murder of Alexey Navalny in prison is noteworthy and important. We need to hold those responsible in contem

Personal Sanctions. Second Reactions

On Thursday I fled Denver in the face of what was promising to be an epic snowstorm. (My AirBnB host, who grew up in Michigan, advised that Denver is quick to hit the panic button, but I didn't dare stick around to find out. I needed to be home before Monday!) In the plane, waiting for de-icing, I checked my e-mail and learned that I had been added to a so-called "stop-list" of U.S. citizens who are being personally sanctioned for our attitudes toward the Russian government and its internal and foreign affairs. It's not often that you end up on a list with the head of Lockheed Martin--certainly nothing I ever expected. But then, I also had never thought of myself as a Russophobe, and now that's the label that has been affixed to me by the Russian Federation. I had just been upgraded to first class--apparently not a lot of people were fleeing Denver that morning!--so I did what any Russophobe would do: I ordered a vodka from the flight attendant. An American vodka,