Skip to main content

Reading on the road...

Hong Kong has been amazing, as is made obvious by the fact that Olivia hasn't had time to really blog about it. We've been sweating more than we thought possible, walking and hiking everywhere, taking all kinds of public and other transportation, even been out to the New Territories. But I won't spoil the surprise; we will all read about it from her point of view.

The purpose of this blog for me (Angela) is not just travel -- though we have been doing plenty of that lately and will be travelling even more in future -- but also, of course, books and recipes. So I wanted to write a little about a novel I've just read called The Weird Sisters, by Eleanor Brown. This is an airport novel that I picked up on my way to Ukraine last month (figuring I might get stuck somewhere along the way and need something to do), but instead of reading it I simply brought the book with me through Istanbul to Alushta, Crimea, and back again. On the plane on the way to Hong Kong I decided to read it.

The book has some interesting aspects, though I don't think I'd recommend it necessarily. The premise is that three daughters of a Shakespeare professor end up back home while their mother is undergoing cancer treatment. (Sound like Moo crossed with  A Thousand Acres, anyone?) Each daughter has been raised to be a big reader; each has gone her own way -- one a hippie chick travelling across the U.S. with no profession and no possessions, one a New York lover-of-expensive-shoes-and-night-life, and the third an adjunct mathematics professor at ... wait for it ... Columbus University. Each has failed at something -- the first is unexpectedly pregnant with no father in the picture, the second has been fired from her job as an office manager of a law firm for embezzling to pay for her cocktails, jewelry and fancy clothing, and the third can't commit to her quite lovely fiance who has a job at Oxford. All end up at home with the vague father and suffering mother. All five regularly quote the Bard.

For me, of course, the amusing part was the lampooning of Ohio. (Though reading about cancer treatment hit home as well.)

Because of course the Shakespeare prof works at a small college about 45 minutes outside Columbus. I kept imagining a cross of Gambier and Yellow Springs -- Antioch has been dead for too long to have it really set in YS, but I thought about home every time the girls walked out of the house to the public library or the grocery store. It was funkier than YS, though -- the grocery was a coop-like place, everyone wore even more hemp clothing than we do, etc. The girls all went to this small college (for free, one assumes), though they didn't all graduate. Descriptions of the hot summer and the lazy, empty town both reminded me of home -- I have enjoyed June in OH more than I thought I would -- and again didn't mesh with Yellow Springs, which frankly has been hopping. We don't depend on our college students for liveliness. Perhaps we will again some day when there are more of them again!!

The oldest sister is Rose -- who stays at home and takes responsibility for her parents. (Sounds familiar!) But more importantly, she is a typical Ohioan who doesn't want to leave the state. She has gotten her PhD at Columbus University and has stayed on there teaching. Descriptions of her job, alas, fit very well with the work I've been doing in thinking about graduate education in the U.S. When her fiance gets a temporary position at Oxford, he says to her "You haven't got a job past next year, right?" And it's true: "Rose had been told this spring, in no uncertain terms, that her adjunct contract wouldn't be renewed after this year. No hard feelings, nothing personal, but they hadn't any tenure-track positions open, and it was so important to keep the department adjuncts fresh, to keep the curriculum vital, you know. Yes, Rose had thought sourly, and because you can keep milling through those brand-new Ph.D.s and never have to give them a penny more than you think you can get away with." (page 20)

It certainly seems that Eleanor Brown has spent some time at Ohio State -- and she's not so concerned with pointing fingers as Jane Smiley was. There are two other rather sad and horrible passages about Rose's adjunct teaching: one where the experience is described in no uncertain terms (with good laugh lines, but in fact rather unfairly), and one later in the book (which I'll mark with a spoiler alert):

 "Rose would be lying if she said she actually liked her job. Since she had refused to take a job out of state, she had accepted a position at Columbus University, where she was a cog in the wheel. The mathematics building was cold concrete; hallways on the outside by the windows, classrooms inside, devoid of natural light. Her students stared at her, their beer-bloated, sleep-deprived faces gone sickly under the fluorescent lights glaring and sputtering above her, punctuating her lectures with an angry hum. [...] Rose felt as though she had been jailed, Kafkaesque, for an unspecified crime. In a university so large, the staff interacted little, ships in the night; she felt unmoored, washing from classroom to office to faculty parking lot. Some days the only people she spoke to were her students, and you could hardly call that an actual interaction (or, Rose might say on a particularly bad day, you could hardly call them actual people)." 

This from page 58. And so on. Not a nice characterization of Columbus, but not entirely untrue, at least as a perception by an adjunct. SPOILER ALERT: Don't read the below if you want to read the book.

"When she had sent her letter of resignation, artfully written to vconvey in the most genteel manner possible that Columbus University cold take its job and shove it, a sudden weight had lifted off her shoulders. She would never have to go back to her dingy office and the gray classrooms and the exhausted students. That the lethargy plaguing her since she had set foot on the campus would never wrap its tentacles around her again, that she might even, dare she say it, be happier without that place" (346).

Ms. Brown did learn a few things at the OSU Creative Writing Program (or wherever she did her MFA), and the most interesting thing about the book is that she writes it from the first person plural, as though the sisters were united in their thinking, though so disparate in their lives and characters. Doesn't quite work, but it's interesting and might have, perhaps, with a few more drafts.

That's enough for now. Book blogging, it turns out, is rather fun, and at least I will have a record of what I read.

Louis Menand is next.

From Hong Kong,
A.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RIP Randy Nolde

In everyone's life there is a teacher who motivated her to try harder, strive for more, reach beyond. Or in my case, a teacher who teased, goaded, poked, pried, laughed, lampooned, and somehow created an atmosphere where I was ready to work my tail off to make him proud. Randy Nolde, we will miss you. Mr. Nolde was my Russian teacher in high school. I first got to know him as a younger person -- the Russian Club Banquet was quite the event in my home town, and my grandmother used to take us regularly even before my sister enrolled in Russian language class. Every year, the high school cafeteria underwent a magical metamorphosis. Huge murals of scenes from Russia -- fantastic, colorful onion-domed churches, and young peasants reaping wheat, and Armenian maidens with long braids and colorful costumes -- hung all around the edges of the room. On the menu: chicken Kiev made by the cafeteria ladies, supplemented with cafeteria salad, but also khachapuri  and piroshki  made by the

Cringeworthy? Really??

It's so sad. I've gotten my first reaction to my new book. Well, second reaction. My sweet husband was brought to tears reading the introduction (possibly because he remembered just how many drafts of each section of the book, and of all the sections left on the cutting room floor, that he had read, and read, and read before). But now I've heard from a potential reader that his Russian friend-in-exile (and more importantly that friend's teenage son) think the title is кринжовый. Ouch. That hurts. Why do we need Russian literature? Do we? My Polish friend wrote to encourage me when she saw my linked in post about the publication and assured me that SHE and all her friends still love Russian literature ... even and despite the fact that Russians sometimes misbehave. (Some Russians more than others, and sometimes not just misbehaving--the world's reaction to the murder of Alexey Navalny in prison is noteworthy and important. We need to hold those responsible in contem

Personal Sanctions. Second Reactions

On Thursday I fled Denver in the face of what was promising to be an epic snowstorm. (My AirBnB host, who grew up in Michigan, advised that Denver is quick to hit the panic button, but I didn't dare stick around to find out. I needed to be home before Monday!) In the plane, waiting for de-icing, I checked my e-mail and learned that I had been added to a so-called "stop-list" of U.S. citizens who are being personally sanctioned for our attitudes toward the Russian government and its internal and foreign affairs. It's not often that you end up on a list with the head of Lockheed Martin--certainly nothing I ever expected. But then, I also had never thought of myself as a Russophobe, and now that's the label that has been affixed to me by the Russian Federation. I had just been upgraded to first class--apparently not a lot of people were fleeing Denver that morning!--so I did what any Russophobe would do: I ordered a vodka from the flight attendant. An American vodka,