Skip to main content

Pushkin and Putin in 2014

In my Masterpieces of Russian Literature class, I like to start with Pushkin and Eugene Onegin. The beginning of the course can be difficult -- how can I convince my students that Pushkin really is the be all and end all of Russian literature, that poets and prose writers of the 19th, 20th, and even 21st century are often engaging with this Ur-poet?

It is especially difficult because his poetic masterpieces don't always read well in English.

This autumn I used "God Grant that I not Lose My Mind..." ... in an atrocious translation. I was reminded pretty quickly that in order to convince students of something, you need to show them, not tell them.

Which is why with Eugene Onegin I often use a pedagogical exercise a colleague, Romy Taylor, wrote about in The Pushkin Review a number of years ago.

The translation I use, James Falen's, is excellent. I really like it. But as I say to the students, if Pushkin sparkles, then Falen only shines. Better than the thud one sometimes hears in reading poetry in translation, but not yet Pushkin.

In order to help students explore Pushkin's virtuosity for themselves, I have them spend a little time doing free-writing on any topic (using some of Turgenev's "poems in prose" as models). And then they are supposed to take their free-writing and turn it into an Onegin stanza. 14 lines are a must, meter and rhyme are a bonus.

This year I was at the annual AATSEEL Convention in Chicago when I was supposed to do my own free writing. I wrote some about Stephanie Sandler's terrific keynote address and a little bit about contemporary poetry, including of course my favorite contemporary Ukrainian "rock star" poet, Andriy Lyubka.

And then I penned this stanza:

At games Olympic down in Sochi
O Pushkin, now in Putin’s day,
We’ll hear your voice, the voice of poetry,
As athletes gather, run and play.
With dreams of love and peace, not soldiers,
On Black Sea beaches (in Moldova),
Dear Pushkin too strolled on the shore,
As we, he dreaded bombs and war.
Today’s new poets cast our news --
On Youtube Lyubka makes his gains
Where once Mick, Paul, and Jimi reigned –
New verses, videos, interviews.
Once Golden Age, then Silver shine,
Now Platinum rules from Ural mines.

Not as good as some years, but better than others. I hope the students have something to show me tomorrow.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RIP Randy Nolde

In everyone's life there is a teacher who motivated her to try harder, strive for more, reach beyond. Or in my case, a teacher who teased, goaded, poked, pried, laughed, lampooned, and somehow created an atmosphere where I was ready to work my tail off to make him proud. Randy Nolde, we will miss you. Mr. Nolde was my Russian teacher in high school. I first got to know him as a younger person -- the Russian Club Banquet was quite the event in my home town, and my grandmother used to take us regularly even before my sister enrolled in Russian language class. Every year, the high school cafeteria underwent a magical metamorphosis. Huge murals of scenes from Russia -- fantastic, colorful onion-domed churches, and young peasants reaping wheat, and Armenian maidens with long braids and colorful costumes -- hung all around the edges of the room. On the menu: chicken Kiev made by the cafeteria ladies, supplemented with cafeteria salad, but also khachapuri  and piroshki  made by the

Cringeworthy? Really??

It's so sad. I've gotten my first reaction to my new book. Well, second reaction. My sweet husband was brought to tears reading the introduction (possibly because he remembered just how many drafts of each section of the book, and of all the sections left on the cutting room floor, that he had read, and read, and read before). But now I've heard from a potential reader that his Russian friend-in-exile (and more importantly that friend's teenage son) think the title is кринжовый. Ouch. That hurts. Why do we need Russian literature? Do we? My Polish friend wrote to encourage me when she saw my linked in post about the publication and assured me that SHE and all her friends still love Russian literature ... even and despite the fact that Russians sometimes misbehave. (Some Russians more than others, and sometimes not just misbehaving--the world's reaction to the murder of Alexey Navalny in prison is noteworthy and important. We need to hold those responsible in contem

Personal Sanctions. Second Reactions

On Thursday I fled Denver in the face of what was promising to be an epic snowstorm. (My AirBnB host, who grew up in Michigan, advised that Denver is quick to hit the panic button, but I didn't dare stick around to find out. I needed to be home before Monday!) In the plane, waiting for de-icing, I checked my e-mail and learned that I had been added to a so-called "stop-list" of U.S. citizens who are being personally sanctioned for our attitudes toward the Russian government and its internal and foreign affairs. It's not often that you end up on a list with the head of Lockheed Martin--certainly nothing I ever expected. But then, I also had never thought of myself as a Russophobe, and now that's the label that has been affixed to me by the Russian Federation. I had just been upgraded to first class--apparently not a lot of people were fleeing Denver that morning!--so I did what any Russophobe would do: I ordered a vodka from the flight attendant. An American vodka,