Skip to main content

"Bread and Water Lines": Par for the (post-Soviet) course?


Bread line, Luhansk. Photo New York Times.
"But to people standing in the bread and water lines that snake through the streets, life here is tough but far from catastrophic. In the predawn, the city comes alive with pedestrians carrying plastic water bottles, headed for the working fountains and grocery stores, on the assumption that fewer shells land early in the morning. One grocery had noodles, gum, sugar, eggs and vodka." (NYT 14 August 2014)

New York Times reporter Andrew Kramer seems surprised at the patience in Eastern Ukraine. One woman he interviewed commented: "I have everything I need but peace."

Russians, and Ukrainians, are good at standing in line. Their patience is epic, legendary really. Some of the people standing in these lines were small children during World War II and lived through the Soviet experiment and its post-Soviet variant. They have come to understand better than most that the forces in the world are greater than the individual. Heads down, hang on, hope for another day.

Others, though, especially people born after the Soviet Union dissolved, must surely be angry. Not, perhaps, as well-trained as their Soviet parents and grandparents in the art of reading propaganda, many Ukrainians in the East must believe what they see on Russian state-sponsored television. They must be certain that the West is out to get them, that they will be discriminated against if they remain a part of Ukraine and that they would be better off with Russians as their masters.

Or maybe not. Maybe they are cynical about the twenty years of Ukrainian independence that have made them the targets of bombs and artillery today. Maybe the idea of negotiated autonomy -- of an independent republic Luhansk and Donetsk -- seemed like a good one, and now it is too hard to back down from separatist claims issued in a braver, safer world.

Getting water from a canal (NY Times photo)
It is easy to explain how some of the scenes of hardship, like this one at right, aren't really that hard for the people living in eastern Ukraine. If we didn't know there is a war on, this could be a photo of country life anywhere in Russia or Ukraine. No running water in the city is a hardship, and can lead to severe problems with disease and sewage. But many people in this part of the world are used to spending time in country homes where there is little or no running water, where carting large bottles down to the river is a part of daily life, enabling residents to wash and to water their tomatoes and cucumbers.

My favorite part of "country life" the week I spent at a friend's dacha twenty years ago was driving down to the river and filling enormous containers with water, containers so heavy that only the strongest men could hoist them into the trunk of the car and then out again near the garden.

Absurd? Perhaps. But an example of the inventiveness of people who have lived without modern conveniences, like plumbing, for centuries. The bombing and military actions that have dominated the summer really are terrifying. But "noodles, gum, sugar, eggs, and vodka"? That isn't an empty store, but a store with all the necessities of life, and then some.

Normal life has ceased in this part of Ukraine, and we all watch in horror to see what may happen next. (It's hard to imagine anything worse than the tragedy of the Malaysian plane.) For the people who are there, though, waiting in line at the river must offer some small solace: there's a sense of unity, of coping in a crisis, of not being alone. My guess is that whether or not the "humanitarian aid" from Russia crosses the Ukrainian border, these very tough people can wait out the war for a good long time.

Another line -- at the river (NY Times photo)
The question is, what awaits them on the other side?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cringeworthy? Really??

It's so sad. I've gotten my first reaction to my new book. Well, second reaction. My sweet husband was brought to tears reading the introduction (possibly because he remembered just how many drafts of each section of the book, and of all the sections left on the cutting room floor, that he had read, and read, and read before). But now I've heard from a potential reader that his Russian friend-in-exile (and more importantly that friend's teenage son) think the title is кринжовый. Ouch. That hurts. Why do we need Russian literature? Do we? My Polish friend wrote to encourage me when she saw my linked in post about the publication and assured me that SHE and all her friends still love Russian literature ... even and despite the fact that Russians sometimes misbehave. (Some Russians more than others, and sometimes not just misbehaving--the world's reaction to the murder of Alexey Navalny in prison is noteworthy and important. We need to hold those responsible in contem

RIP Randy Nolde

In everyone's life there is a teacher who motivated her to try harder, strive for more, reach beyond. Or in my case, a teacher who teased, goaded, poked, pried, laughed, lampooned, and somehow created an atmosphere where I was ready to work my tail off to make him proud. Randy Nolde, we will miss you. Mr. Nolde was my Russian teacher in high school. I first got to know him as a younger person -- the Russian Club Banquet was quite the event in my home town, and my grandmother used to take us regularly even before my sister enrolled in Russian language class. Every year, the high school cafeteria underwent a magical metamorphosis. Huge murals of scenes from Russia -- fantastic, colorful onion-domed churches, and young peasants reaping wheat, and Armenian maidens with long braids and colorful costumes -- hung all around the edges of the room. On the menu: chicken Kiev made by the cafeteria ladies, supplemented with cafeteria salad, but also khachapuri  and piroshki  made by the

Personal Sanctions. Second Reactions

On Thursday I fled Denver in the face of what was promising to be an epic snowstorm. (My AirBnB host, who grew up in Michigan, advised that Denver is quick to hit the panic button, but I didn't dare stick around to find out. I needed to be home before Monday!) In the plane, waiting for de-icing, I checked my e-mail and learned that I had been added to a so-called "stop-list" of U.S. citizens who are being personally sanctioned for our attitudes toward the Russian government and its internal and foreign affairs. It's not often that you end up on a list with the head of Lockheed Martin--certainly nothing I ever expected. But then, I also had never thought of myself as a Russophobe, and now that's the label that has been affixed to me by the Russian Federation. I had just been upgraded to first class--apparently not a lot of people were fleeing Denver that morning!--so I did what any Russophobe would do: I ordered a vodka from the flight attendant. An American vodka,