Skip to main content

Tesco Card as Metaphor

On our first day in Warsaw, I went to the Tesco. Yes, there's a Tesco -- the British supermarket -- just 100 meters from our apartment.


When we got to the checkout, the cashier asked me (in Polish, of course) whether I had a Tesco card. In the Polish I use (i.e. faking it, guessing wildly based on my Russian and what I hear around me, plus what little I remember from 20+ years ago), I then said: "No, I don't, but I wish I did."

She handed me a form. I filled it out. I became the proud owner of a Tesco card. Success, of a kind.

Now, when these cards were first introduced at various grocery stores in the US, I resisted them. I know that they collect information about me as a shopper, sometimes generate coupons and offers to my email, and generally make me a tad uncomfortable that some Big Brother is watching when I buy a Twix bar and checking on my brand of tampons.

On the other hand, often "sale" prices only apply to those with a card, and I can generate quite a lot of savings when I use the card at a major grocery. Having a card (or at least remembering a friend's number when I check out) means that the prices written in big numbers apply to me; I'm a member of a club of people who pay less, not one of those who pay through the nose for their lemons and their beets.

In Poland, the Tesco card remains a mystery to me.

Every time I go to the store, whether for parsnips and carrots or świeże jaja (eggs by the 10 rather than the dozen, something familiar to me that freaked my daughter out!), I pull out my Tesco card and the cashier dutifully scans it.

I then examine my receipt later -- did I get a discount on some coveted product? on toilet paper or milk or Polish apples?

I admit that I cannot tell what effect the Tesco card has on my total spending. I literally have no idea. Or rather, I know that I am racking up points each time I shop, and they are accumulating (at an alarming rate, but that is another topic). Surely they will some day bring me some benefit, but what benefit, I do not know.

And now we come to the metaphor: we move through our life in Warsaw, accumulating some benefit, but what that benefit is, and when it will accrue to the extent that we will notice and profit from it, is as yet unclear. In the meantime we stumble along, filled with pride when we understand something or communicate our needs or connect with some lovely Pole who has taken that extra step to be welcoming, to be kind, to be human.

In fact we've accomplished quite a lot:

  • we have a bank account, and can make bank transfers and pay bills, even on the internet; 
  • we have cell phones, so that we can call or text each other; 
  • we have Warsaw City Cards and activated them for 90 days of local transit;
  • we have filled out many forms at our departments, which in theory will lead to us being paid, getting health insurance, etc.
This in addition to some sightseeing and the regular everyday living, including making snowmen in the yard, figuring out our washing machine and dishwasher, sending letters and postcards to friends at the post office.

I've run into one or two shopkeepers who announce "Nie rozumiem" and dismiss me. But they are in the minority. Mostly we meet people who are ready to offer us Tesco cards -- whether or not we fill out the forms correctly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RIP Randy Nolde

In everyone's life there is a teacher who motivated her to try harder, strive for more, reach beyond. Or in my case, a teacher who teased, goaded, poked, pried, laughed, lampooned, and somehow created an atmosphere where I was ready to work my tail off to make him proud. Randy Nolde, we will miss you. Mr. Nolde was my Russian teacher in high school. I first got to know him as a younger person -- the Russian Club Banquet was quite the event in my home town, and my grandmother used to take us regularly even before my sister enrolled in Russian language class. Every year, the high school cafeteria underwent a magical metamorphosis. Huge murals of scenes from Russia -- fantastic, colorful onion-domed churches, and young peasants reaping wheat, and Armenian maidens with long braids and colorful costumes -- hung all around the edges of the room. On the menu: chicken Kiev made by the cafeteria ladies, supplemented with cafeteria salad, but also khachapuri  and piroshki  made by the

Cringeworthy? Really??

It's so sad. I've gotten my first reaction to my new book. Well, second reaction. My sweet husband was brought to tears reading the introduction (possibly because he remembered just how many drafts of each section of the book, and of all the sections left on the cutting room floor, that he had read, and read, and read before). But now I've heard from a potential reader that his Russian friend-in-exile (and more importantly that friend's teenage son) think the title is кринжовый. Ouch. That hurts. Why do we need Russian literature? Do we? My Polish friend wrote to encourage me when she saw my linked in post about the publication and assured me that SHE and all her friends still love Russian literature ... even and despite the fact that Russians sometimes misbehave. (Some Russians more than others, and sometimes not just misbehaving--the world's reaction to the murder of Alexey Navalny in prison is noteworthy and important. We need to hold those responsible in contem

Personal Sanctions. Second Reactions

On Thursday I fled Denver in the face of what was promising to be an epic snowstorm. (My AirBnB host, who grew up in Michigan, advised that Denver is quick to hit the panic button, but I didn't dare stick around to find out. I needed to be home before Monday!) In the plane, waiting for de-icing, I checked my e-mail and learned that I had been added to a so-called "stop-list" of U.S. citizens who are being personally sanctioned for our attitudes toward the Russian government and its internal and foreign affairs. It's not often that you end up on a list with the head of Lockheed Martin--certainly nothing I ever expected. But then, I also had never thought of myself as a Russophobe, and now that's the label that has been affixed to me by the Russian Federation. I had just been upgraded to first class--apparently not a lot of people were fleeing Denver that morning!--so I did what any Russophobe would do: I ordered a vodka from the flight attendant. An American vodka,