Skip to main content

"Boorishness and Cynicism" -- American traits?

So this week President Vladimir Putin of Russia was quoted in the New York Times as complaining about "boorishness."

Photo credit: Mauri Ratilainen/
European Pressphoto Agency for the NYT
This was not the most noteworthy quote in the NYT this week (I am striving not to use profanity since reading about J.D. Vance's Mamaw in his Hillbilly Elegy, so I won't repeat the other quote). It was, however, named the "Quotation of the Day."

Not many Americans use the word "boorishness." In fact, I may never have heard it spoken aloud in my entire life. Nonetheless, as often happens when reading translations, I had to back-translate and realized immediately what Putin must have said in Russian.

I checked on the Russian internet, and I was right: Putin called the new sanctions being imposed on Russia by the U.S. Senate "boorishness and cynicism" -- or khamstvo i tsinizm.

The word khamstvo, or boorishness, seems like the kind of thing you might fling about if you were, say, about to challenge someone to a duel. (Oh, right, that almost happened this week in the U.S. Senate as well. What times we live in!)

But really. Insults like these imply that there are gentlemen's agreements about behavior, codes of honor, and lines that cannot be crossed. Which out of the mouth of Russia's president--who may or may not know anything about cybercrime, but certainly doesn't have much respect for internationally recognized state borders--is simply surreal.

I have my own story of khamstvo from back in the days of the Soviet Union. Indulge me for a moment. It represents a perfect example of learning language and culture from context.

When I arrived for a year-long study abroad in Moscow in 1988, we were housed in a dormitory of the Pushkin Institute for Russian Language and Culture.

A stamp featuring the Pushkin Institute
and its 50th anniversary in 2016
It had been a long journey, and all we wanted to do was unpack and go explore the city as soon as possible. But we couldn't. First we had to get access to the items left behind by other students affiliated with our program, students who had left tons of goodies--hot plates, and dictionaries, and pillows, and other random items--for their successors.

All those goodies were stored in a storage room, but the room seemed abandoned--no attendant in sight.

College students are nothing if not eager, especially when starting a new adventure. Several of us barged into the storage room and recognized a trunk and some boxes labeled with the name of our program. We began to sort through them, claiming what we needed, and to drag them out into the hallway.

Soon an elderly woman appeared, and frankly, I thought she might have a heart attack. Nu i khamstvo!! she shouted. What boorishness! How dare you go through these items?!

It was the storage room attendant, and no matter how much we explained that we had waited, that we were in a hurry, that these really were our things, she could not recover her equanimity. Muttering and practically spitting in anger and frustration, she drove us away, and we were left utterly perplexed at her reaction.

Not as perplexed as I was about six weeks later, though, when standing on a bus stop outside the institute. A woman in a warm coat, shawl wrapped firmly around her head and several bags dangling from her arms, hustled up to me to chastise me. "Sweetheart," she said, "put your scarf on your head. Where are your mittens? Button up your coat. It's nearly winter."

Moscow bus stop

It was the same woman. Suddenly concerned for my health and welfare. She didn't even recognize me as one of those targeted by her acrimony back in early September.

My conclusion at the time was, I thought, an insight into the Soviet person. The storage room was this woman's kingdom, and access to the goods there was her only power. In the rest of her life she could be a sweet grandmother, but at work she was fierce. Protecting her realm from the American khams was for her a way to claim the high ground, to demonstrate her knowledge of good, proper behavior, politeness, order. She was fighting boorishness as any noble person would.

So now back to Putin. Was his complaint a cry of frustration at American senators' violating his sacred space? Is this about noble Russian behavior in the face of the American traits of cynicism and boorishness? Are we really not fit for the honorable world inhabited by Russians/Soviets?

Is that code of honor Putin claims to value merely a reflex, a nineteenth century leftover? Or even worse, is it a sham? "I'm shocked, just shocked that you could retaliate in the face of our illegal behavior?!"

In any other week I guess I'd be surprised to see a headline featuring the word "boorishness." But politics have gotten weird, both here and internationally. Regardless, I still won't be expecting sweetness and light the next time Vladimir Putin's word choice makes headlines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cringeworthy? Really??

It's so sad. I've gotten my first reaction to my new book. Well, second reaction. My sweet husband was brought to tears reading the introduction (possibly because he remembered just how many drafts of each section of the book, and of all the sections left on the cutting room floor, that he had read, and read, and read before). But now I've heard from a potential reader that his Russian friend-in-exile (and more importantly that friend's teenage son) think the title is кринжовый. Ouch. That hurts. Why do we need Russian literature? Do we? My Polish friend wrote to encourage me when she saw my linked in post about the publication and assured me that SHE and all her friends still love Russian literature ... even and despite the fact that Russians sometimes misbehave. (Some Russians more than others, and sometimes not just misbehaving--the world's reaction to the murder of Alexey Navalny in prison is noteworthy and important. We need to hold those responsible in contem

RIP Randy Nolde

In everyone's life there is a teacher who motivated her to try harder, strive for more, reach beyond. Or in my case, a teacher who teased, goaded, poked, pried, laughed, lampooned, and somehow created an atmosphere where I was ready to work my tail off to make him proud. Randy Nolde, we will miss you. Mr. Nolde was my Russian teacher in high school. I first got to know him as a younger person -- the Russian Club Banquet was quite the event in my home town, and my grandmother used to take us regularly even before my sister enrolled in Russian language class. Every year, the high school cafeteria underwent a magical metamorphosis. Huge murals of scenes from Russia -- fantastic, colorful onion-domed churches, and young peasants reaping wheat, and Armenian maidens with long braids and colorful costumes -- hung all around the edges of the room. On the menu: chicken Kiev made by the cafeteria ladies, supplemented with cafeteria salad, but also khachapuri  and piroshki  made by the

Personal Sanctions. Second Reactions

On Thursday I fled Denver in the face of what was promising to be an epic snowstorm. (My AirBnB host, who grew up in Michigan, advised that Denver is quick to hit the panic button, but I didn't dare stick around to find out. I needed to be home before Monday!) In the plane, waiting for de-icing, I checked my e-mail and learned that I had been added to a so-called "stop-list" of U.S. citizens who are being personally sanctioned for our attitudes toward the Russian government and its internal and foreign affairs. It's not often that you end up on a list with the head of Lockheed Martin--certainly nothing I ever expected. But then, I also had never thought of myself as a Russophobe, and now that's the label that has been affixed to me by the Russian Federation. I had just been upgraded to first class--apparently not a lot of people were fleeing Denver that morning!--so I did what any Russophobe would do: I ordered a vodka from the flight attendant. An American vodka,