Skip to main content

Hospitality and Friendliness in Poland

Last weekend we were at a colleague's apartment for a dinner party. On the top floor of a pre-war building, the apartment was beautiful -- spacious, sunny, sparkling clean despite the fact that it's cottonwood season (our apartment, for example, currently features whirlwinds of white fuzz in the corners). The open plan featured a wonderful kitchen and was clearly a far cry from its pre-war original floor plan. The view out the windows east offered a changeable sky, and the company kept arriving in waves as we feasted on Mexican food.

Yes, Mexican food, including delicious guacamole. (My son would have been ecstatic.) Elegant glass pitchers held water spiked with berries or with mint leaves; the antique oak dining table had to be pulled out to accommodate the Polish and American guests who eventually assembled around it. Piles of napkins -- needed given what a mess we made with our meal -- were anchored with gorgeous skinny red peppers.

Our hostess kept saying "Mexican food really brings people together. You can't be neat eating this food, and that makes for the best atmosphere."

At one point she commented that Poles are well-known for their hospitality, and I immediately seconded that opinion. We have certainly felt it in the homes where we have been invited: sparkling conversation, plenty of wine, and more dessert than anyone could possibly eat. In this case we were treated to a flourless chocolate cake, ice cream, some kind of warm berry syrup AND a huge bowl of fresh Polish strawberries.

It's strawberry season in Poland, and one can't help but dive in headfirst in a most uncouth manner.
Absolutely amazing.

We have had several more congenial dinners and teas -- featuring homemade food or store-bought, always plentiful and delicious, professional and personal conversations, storytelling, joking and laughter. One evening we returned home from an intimate dinner party feeling like we'd known these people for years and commenting that it had truly been one of the most enjoyable evenings of our lives.

Hospitality in the home is not the same thing as hospitality in Poland, though. In our various travels across the landscape of Warsaw and Warsaw University, what has been missing is a level of casual friendliness that apparently we as Americans expect.

In Warsaw in banks, hospitals, grocery stores, museums, lines, Poles are like other people -- as friendly as it takes to get the business taken care of, annoyed if you don't have the right paperwork or somehow fall outside the norm -- including in your abilities to communicate your needs. In buses they can be grouchy -- again like most people. Fulbrighters have noted "staring contests" with people on public transportation. I've only had one, with a woman on an escalator in the metro who insisted on staring at my gorgeous Chinese daughter. Finally she acknowledged with her gaze that her behavior was untoward -- but she didn't stop staring. My daughter has felt that people in public have occasionally been downright hostile, but I think (and hope) that is mere perception, based on her own cultural expectations.

The doormen in my building have taken to smiling at us, after months of us greeting and smiling at them, and when recently I have gathered up enough Polish to ask the some questions, they answer fully and with good humor, assuring me: "Wiem, że Pani nie mówi po polsku" ("I know you don't really speak Polish"). It couldn't be more obvious that we are an American family who have shown up for some number of months and are trying to find our way here. But if I hadn't ever said a word to them, we would have left the country never having spoken with each other.

People are busy. Our experience is not their problem. But still ... a little curiosity, a little chat even about the weather, a shared anecdote of life on the bus or a wayward student. These things apparently matter to us. Some cultures find such trivial conversations to be a waste of time or hypocritical, but for Americans, I've come to discover, casual friendliness creates a basic level of comfort.

In my own institute, staff and faculty are business-like. If there's no real reason to chat, we don't, except of course that we say "Dzień dobry" and "Do widzenia" on a regular basis to anyone who happens to wander through the office. The Fulbright concept of the "shepherd" who helps with everything from paperwork to doctors and apartments to local customs and holidays is a great one -- or would have been if my shepherd weren't already overburdened with work and resentful of the time I require of her. Casual friendliness, an interest in my cultural comfort, is not in her portfolio.

It seems to me that Americans expect and even need that friendliness and consider a country "hospitable" if they find it. But the distinction between friendliness and hospitality is one that is important to make: hospitality is a personal thing, not something that happens in a hallway or on a bus. In Berlin at our Fulbright seminar a local informant told us that Germans don't want to get to know you if you'll be disappearing in 4 months, or in 9 months. For them, he said, friendship is a lifelong prospect, and there's no point spending energy on you if you may never come back again.

Friendliness is not the same as friendship, but one leads to the other. Our best conversations have been with people who are somehow engaged with American culture, I think because they exhibit that basic friendliness and warmth. Faculty at the American Studies Center, others who have had guest stints teaching in the U.S., or, in my case, with Russian and Ukrainian types. These are people I instinctively understand, people with whom we've made a real connection.

I don't understand Poles yet. But I aim to come back and find out more about them. And as my language and knowledge improve, I feel certain that my level of cultural comfort will increase as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cringeworthy? Really??

It's so sad. I've gotten my first reaction to my new book. Well, second reaction. My sweet husband was brought to tears reading the introduction (possibly because he remembered just how many drafts of each section of the book, and of all the sections left on the cutting room floor, that he had read, and read, and read before). But now I've heard from a potential reader that his Russian friend-in-exile (and more importantly that friend's teenage son) think the title is кринжовый. Ouch. That hurts. Why do we need Russian literature? Do we? My Polish friend wrote to encourage me when she saw my linked in post about the publication and assured me that SHE and all her friends still love Russian literature ... even and despite the fact that Russians sometimes misbehave. (Some Russians more than others, and sometimes not just misbehaving--the world's reaction to the murder of Alexey Navalny in prison is noteworthy and important. We need to hold those responsible in contem

RIP Randy Nolde

In everyone's life there is a teacher who motivated her to try harder, strive for more, reach beyond. Or in my case, a teacher who teased, goaded, poked, pried, laughed, lampooned, and somehow created an atmosphere where I was ready to work my tail off to make him proud. Randy Nolde, we will miss you. Mr. Nolde was my Russian teacher in high school. I first got to know him as a younger person -- the Russian Club Banquet was quite the event in my home town, and my grandmother used to take us regularly even before my sister enrolled in Russian language class. Every year, the high school cafeteria underwent a magical metamorphosis. Huge murals of scenes from Russia -- fantastic, colorful onion-domed churches, and young peasants reaping wheat, and Armenian maidens with long braids and colorful costumes -- hung all around the edges of the room. On the menu: chicken Kiev made by the cafeteria ladies, supplemented with cafeteria salad, but also khachapuri  and piroshki  made by the

Personal Sanctions. Second Reactions

On Thursday I fled Denver in the face of what was promising to be an epic snowstorm. (My AirBnB host, who grew up in Michigan, advised that Denver is quick to hit the panic button, but I didn't dare stick around to find out. I needed to be home before Monday!) In the plane, waiting for de-icing, I checked my e-mail and learned that I had been added to a so-called "stop-list" of U.S. citizens who are being personally sanctioned for our attitudes toward the Russian government and its internal and foreign affairs. It's not often that you end up on a list with the head of Lockheed Martin--certainly nothing I ever expected. But then, I also had never thought of myself as a Russophobe, and now that's the label that has been affixed to me by the Russian Federation. I had just been upgraded to first class--apparently not a lot of people were fleeing Denver that morning!--so I did what any Russophobe would do: I ordered a vodka from the flight attendant. An American vodka,